Re: Further thoughts on fuel venting

Subject: Re: Further thoughts on fuel venting
From: Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:37:37
Roger wrote: <<your proposed method of curing the problem
seems simple, it is in fact dangerous>>.

Well, the current system is most certainly dangerous and could have lost
me my aeroplane. (I hope the Al. tube mod. will be suppolied free)

The problem clearly originates in that wedge of air - so the tank shape
is wrong; the top should be horizontal when on the ground (thinks... turn
the tank (aeroplane ?) upside down and then a further 10 deg. and pour
setting plastic into the wedge ?

Here are more serious suggestions.

1) Drill a  hole down into the tank outside the headrests and  seal a
vent pipe directly where it is needed in the highest point of the wedge,
coupled to the existing dorsal outlet.

) Drill a bigger hole between the headrests and seal in a clear plastic
pipe carrying a float in the tank and a marker in the visible bit above
the seatbacks. Vent the top straight up, or to the existing outlet
further back. You then have a vented wedge AND a "Tiger Moth" (but
calibrateable ) sight gauge in full view, and independent of attitude.
Gets rid of that awful pipe of fuel looped round the pilot. Restricts
baggage access, but it could be offest quite a bit to one side while
there is sufficient travel for the float. Might even be made retractable
through an O-ring, but maybe that's a bit fanciful.

Graham 2