Re: Premolded wings and tail feathers

Subject: Re: Premolded wings and tail feathers
From: Steven A Eberhart <newtech@evansville.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 20:44:46
On 13 Dec 1995, Herbert F. Kilian wrote:

> >>I can't believe there isn't a case for pre-moulded wings - at a sensible
> price.
>
> Right on, Alan!
> Let's get this discussion in high gear.  I can't believe there is nobody
> besides
> you, Graham and myself having an opinion on this subject.  I have seen
> numerous
> notes to this server ending with "Europa builder and sander..."
> Sounds funny at first but then you start thinking if this is truly a part of
> your project you would be looking forward to.  Maybe Ivan needs to go visit
> the
> German sailplane manufacturers to see how it's done.  But then, I read that
> Slingsby is building right next door some interesting fiberglass planes in
> molds...
> Regards
> Herbert

Well,

I would like to see some more work done in the areas of the wing and tail
feathers.  As others have said, there is as much work in a wing with
pre-molded skins.  THe work is just different.  Pre-molded skins if they
are cured in an autoclave would be nice.  Foam wings like the Europa's
would be nice if they were vacuum bagged and cured in a semi-rigid mold.
The vacuum bagging seems to be the best compromise.

My preferences at this point in time are:

1. Vacuum bagged wing cured in a cradle type of support structure to
prevent building in unwanted twists.

2. premolded skin construction for the horizontal and vertical
stabilizers.  Would like autoclave cured skins and construction
methods similar to the Lancair.

Item one is how I plan to build mine (hope to order it before Spring).
The tail will probably use the same vacuum bagging as I don't care to
design my own stressed skin tail.  Might consider the vertical stab.

I tried to buy the construction videos for the Berkut as they use the
vacuum bagged foam wing construction but they wouldn't sell them separate
---From the airplane kit.  Still will try to get a set of their tapes.

Steve