Re: Premolded wings and tail feathers

Subject: Re: Premolded wings and tail feathers
From: alanj@supvax.sls.co.uk
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 09:38:44

 I don't think there is much less work in a premoulded wing
than a foam core one, it's just different kind of work. We reckon it takes
about
one and a half days to fill and profile a wing to the stage of spraying primer.
I bet you would spend just as long on a premoulded wing. Ask any of the Glasair
and Lancair boys. Filling and profiling the leading edge is fiddly. As is
capping strips on all the ribs etc. Don't ask about chasing leaks in a wet
wing!

I find it difficult to accept the above!  If working from the inside out was
the best way of doing things in glass then all commercial manufacturers surely
would be doing it that way - which we all know is not the case. The inside
out route avoids needing a mould which is an expensive item for small
production runs.

The glass glider maunfacturers start by spraying a gel coat into a mould, then
add the cloth then stick the halves together with the foam core and spar
inside. Finishing is restricted to the joins and the profile is virtually
perfect.

You might be able to get the basic shape right in 1.5 days - but what
about the rest of the finishing? My enquiries with a well known glass airframe
repairer (McLeans of Rufforth nr York) gave an estimate of 160 hours for wing
finishing - and they are professionals!

I can't believe there isn't a case for pre-moulded wings - at a sensible price.

Alan Jackson