Premolded wings and tail feathers

Subject: Premolded wings and tail feathers
From: Herbert F. Kilian <76223.131@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 19:48:06
>Modern laminar flow sections are less critical than the old ones, the
sailplanes
>don't suffer quite so much in rain as they used to. Also the laminar flow is
>more dependant on waviness than a really accurate profile.
>Ivan expected to have to alter the wing design so opted for the flexibility of
>Rutan construction.
>In fact the section was designed for the mission by an experienced big jet
>aerodynamicist. It does seem to work.

Graham,

Thanks for your response, I certainly agree that the Europa concept "seems to
work" as you put it.  With all the lay-ups and required filling and sanding of
"Rutan Wing" it seems to be a valid question if a premolded wing might become an
option (super fast kit?) for the future.  Many potential builders - I for sure
-
would be happy to consider it.
As you well know, all the recent successful  American glass kits are offering
wings made in molds.

Regards
Herbert Kilian