Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:21:54

Brian,

I disagree, an MPD is only issued when there is a serious concern over safety.
To issue the MPD with a very brief (5 flying hours) incorporation requirement
confirms there is a major issue and lives are at risk.  Otherwise, why not make
it a requirement for the next permit renewal?

The engineering activity that reduces the risk needs to be compliant with the
highest
standards possible.  By defining a solution and providing drawings, parts
and instructions the LAA is now walking into a new room - one that has Liability
Dept on the door and for the time being, "Also used occasionally for CAA
audits".

I was pointing out the sort of thing that LAA Engineering pulls us up on
(meaning:
applicants for Mods and new types, etc).  When the 'missing data' might be
irrelevant or numerically meaningless.

In this respect, LAA Engineering needs to be demonstrating the process and
engineering
practice beyond reproach, as per its Exposition.

And I still believe it is a solution that has not fully taken into account the
build standard of most UK registered Europas - meaning the location having
fasteners
installed into is often 'busy' with fuel equipment, electrical wiring looms,
microswitches, etc.

This brings us back to the original comment.  Is the supplied material PLA, ABS,
Polycarbonate, something else?  In 10 years time if the LAA supplied versions
have fallen off, people might be asking what material should we not use?

In addition to the above comment, I have since discovered that at least one LAA
inspector (who looks after several Europas) had not had the MPD sent to him.
I do hope that the additional missive has been corrected already.

--------
John Wighton
Europa XS trigear G-IPOD

Read this topic online here: