Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mandatory U.K. LAA permit directive. Shoot-Bolt stop
From: Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:33:17
In our discussion of ensuring that the rear shoot bolts are in their
proper location, I=99ve been struck by the comments about checking
by nudging with the pilot=99s left elbow to =9Cfeel=9D
whether or not the door can be pushed outward (or not). If that is the
common manner to assure oneself that he/she is safe to fly, I=99m
not surprised that some Europas have lost a door, nor am I surprised
that LAA has imposed a fix.

While I understand the term =9Cmandatory=9D as it applies to
aircraft registered in the UK, here is a solution which I used to
eliminate the risk of losing a door in flight which consists of 3
elements:

1. I fashioned a tab from a scrap of 1/8=9D foam, and glassed it
to the doors in alignment with the seat back/head rest,
2. I installed microswitches, located so as to contact the rear shoot
bolts when the door latching mechanism is closed,
3. And I installed 2 green LEDs on my panel.

I=99m indebted to Raimo Tolvio for the electrical components basic
design.

When closing the pilot=99s door, I reach with my right hand and
pull the tab inward, while my left hand shoves the latch handle forward.
If I have a passenger, before instructing him/her to shove their latch
forward, I reach with my right hand around the back of the passenger
=99s seat back/head rest and pull inward while the passenger shoves the
latch forward.

I think of this featherweight little tab as the most important
component. The ability to pull the door inward eliminates racking of the
door, prevents the shoot bolt from marring the exterior finish, and
ensures that the door is properly closed.

The microswitches and the 2 green LEDs on the panel were selected and
wired in the simplest fashion in order to eliminate false positives
2 green lights confirm that the door is properly closed...if I don=99
t have 2 green lights, it=99s a no-go.

And of course I use a checklist...