Re: Europa-List: landing gear frame geometry

Subject: Re: Europa-List: landing gear frame geometry
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:41:26
Rowland,

Not to worry as the guys pointed out.  I am embarrassed for the company
that the tubes are that far off.
They should be rather parallel.  Please shim it out if necessary but I
can have a new frame sent.  My spare one here in the shop is pretty
straight.

If you wish to continue, make sure the frame is square to the firewall.
Also note that it is not askew to the vertical and horizontal axis as
best you can.   Make shims to keep the vertical and horizontal tubes 1/8
inch off the firewall (1/16 inch min.).  The manual says to leave at
least 3/16 inch from the top horizontal tube to the firewall for the
bungee.  It has been my experience that 1/4 inch minimum is necessary as
glass is added and the bungee for the mono or trigear (when springs are
not used) gets really tight in there.  For the mono, get the swing arm
out and temporarily fit it to check the alignment with the well, but if
the lower tube is square to the firewall, you will be all right
especially with the 7 inch tire.

If the tubes that go into the module are a bit far from the module at
points,  the Redux (Araldite 420A/B) will take up the slack on final
install.

Once you are dry fitted, and have done your best to drill your mounting
holes, then take out the frame and assemble your gear on the bench.
Make sure your over center is at least 1/16 inch on the LG08s when
installed.  This is quite easy to do now with the gear on the bench and
assembled.  Make sure all is well with the mono wheel geometry before
final install as it is hell getting up into that well to grind and trim
if the arms are not straight.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Europa Tech Support.