Re: Europa-List: landing gear frame geometry

Subject: Re: Europa-List: landing gear frame geometry
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:28:37

On 18 Apr 2012, at 21:10, Neville Eyre wrote:

> Cut some 1/8''ply shims 1'' wide by about 10'' long, push the frame into the
tunnel and slip the shims behind the VERTICAL frame tubes. [ or tape them to the
aft of the tubes]
> Check that the lower  U/C frame mounting tube is level with the spar pin
> bushes,
useing a straight edge / level set on the pins [slot the holes in the firewall
to achieve this] then kick / whack with a soft hammer the frame back so it
nips the two shims, that is where you drill / bolt it.
> The frame tube geometry is all over the place, ignore it, just get the lower
tube level and the two vertical tubes 1/8'' off the firewall

Neville - thanks for your very practical advice. It's a relief to know that
minor
geometrical anomalies in the frames are nothing to worry about.

Intuitively, I feel the big fat tube where the U/C swinging arm pivots would be
an even better thing to have level thwartwise, and of course that tube may not
have finished up quite parallel to the bottom tube - I haven't tried to check
that yet.

Also, as the manual suggests with its reference to mounting temporarily the
swinging
arm, that tube should be at right angles to the longitudinal axis of the
fuselage.

Thanks again for your help.

in friendship

Rowland