Re: Europa-List: Re: urgent: 912S ignition failure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: urgent: 912S ignition failure
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 17:41:53
Gentlemen,
My years are going to show, but we must understand and be consistent in
our opinions.
I have found it necessary to be fair.  I hate them all.

Rotax is expensive, and has two carbs, two ignitions so multiple
troubleshooting problems and high prices.
Jabiru has cooling and induction problems, must run at 2700 rpm or about
85% power to equal a 914 at 75%, and can't swing a prop bigger than 64
inches, (not a problem for the Europa) but is less expensive but needs a
bigger gas tank.
Lycomings are heavy, leaky, inefficient, in hot cliamates like Florida,
and over temp the cylinder near the valves requiring top overhauls,
Continentals need a drip pan at 200 hours, have similar problems like
the Lyc. and all one has to do is google lycoming or continental engine
problems to see there is no perfect engine.
Neither the Lyc or Cont make it beyond about 500 hours down here without
cylinders coming off for repair.

Car engines sound great, but airplanes need torque so you need a
reduction unit (duh, another Rotax type problem).  You are doing engine
development rather than flying many times.  The day they make a car
engine that can start up, idle out of the neighborhood and go full
throttle for 15 minutes then pull a 3000 pound trailer at 80 miles an
hour for 4 hours within 500 rpm of max and do that every day for 80,000
miles, I'll put it in an airplane. because that is what we ask of an
airplane engine.

So I prefer to be consistent, I hate them all equally.

Have a great weekend,
Bud