Re: Europa-List: Help Please!!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Help Please!!
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:42:27
Jon,
I've done a number of these spar straps and all had to be disengaged
alone by me in the shop before the guys arrive.

Once cured, I use a long putty knife (flat blade scraper of about .025
inches) and slide it between the release tape and the glass strap.

When visually I see I have air around the contact points on the aft side
top and bottom, then I wiggle them.

I pull the pins out with the wings properly supported by saw horses or
suitable supports.  Normally I have saw horses midway down the wing and
both spars pinned.  When ready to remove I support the mid point with a
low saw horse or tool stand shimmed up to give support and make removal
of the pins uneventful.

I find that the removal of the pins and a slight up and down movement of
the wings clears any stubborn corners I couldn't get to release.

Lastly, I don't use a jack, but my back against one root side and my
foot against the other rib (properly padded if the wing fillets are on)
and push.  I never had it fail me, but now that I am older, I have one
of the guys help me push as I don't have the flexibility I used to have.

A good jack is your auto screw jack with a properly sized piece of
lumber to join together between the ribs and light pressure is all that
is needed...

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations