Re: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono Inner Tyre Failures
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:13:30
Interesting to note:

Tire pressure is the key.  The lower the pressure the more wear on the
side wall.  I see the older mono's with cracks in the sidewalls running
12-14 lbs of pressure on the 7 inch tire so as to control the bounce
(theoretically).  The normal pressure by the book for the 8 inch tire is
18 lbs.  But none is stated for the 7 inch tire in the operations
manual...  Typically the tire should be inflated to about 30 lbs
according to Air Trac.

The original outrigger length was set for the Classic tail wheel located
at the rear bulkhead.  The tail wheel was lower and the outriggers were
shorter.  With the tail wheel stinger, the outriggers were too short and
were eventually lengthened.  The new tail wheel conversion mod for the
old Classic tail wheel to stinger increases the outrigger length by
about an inch and a half.

After talking years ago with Jim Brown and Andy Draper, I helped Joe
Like set up his aircraft with the longer leg lengths.  Joe was a low
time pilot with a little Aeronca Champ time.  By adjusting his outrigger
leg lengths to just rest on the ground when the plane was only loaded
with fuel, helped him with the horrible leans that can throw off the
novices attempt at directional control.  Joe has the 7 inch main tire as
most of you all.  Joe now has 150 plus hours without incident operating
off of concrete.  So Jim has sage advice.

Each plane requires a slightly different outrigger measurement, but it
appears worth the effort to make the outriggers so they just touch the
ground so as to help overall control.

Just my thoughts.  I only have a few landings in the mono, and the
weather was calm.  No ill affects with this setup. I also never allowed
a deviation more than a inch or two on takeoff or landing.  Let's just
say I had happy feet and a tight set of muscles.

Bud Yerly
Tri-gear, 914