Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:43:41

Rowland Carson wrote:

>Chris - some have tried, and many have failed!
>
>Consider the situation: you are rolling along on that one wheel just
>after touchdown and slowing down, to the speed where the rudder
>becomes ineffective.

Good point.  I notice the size of the rudder on the Europa compared to
our 140.  The 140 rudder is really quite huge!  In addition, the 140
won't raise the tail on takeoff until 20 kts. or so, and will hold it up
a bit slower on landing, but never even hints of loosing rudder
effectiveness.  If anything, it's a bit TOO sensitive to the rudder, and
I end up skidding all over if I don't pay attention with the
coordination while flying.

Is that in fact a problem with ground handling - loss of rudder
effectiveness - in the Monowheel?  That could make for some interesting
moments with crosswinds....

Chris