Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps

Subject: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps
From: Garry Stout <garrys@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:17:41

I struck up a conversation this morning with the owner of a beautiful
Lancair 320.  With a Lycoming 320 engine, he cruises at 75% power at 7,500
feet, at 195 KNOTS!  I asked him about his speed "tricks" and he said that
one of the things he did was to "reflex" the flaps to 10 degrees UP when
fully retracted.  He said he gained about 10 knots of speed just by doing
that.....versus the zero degrees normal retracted position.  The theory is
that reflexed flaps reduce wing drag dramatically.  Have any Europa fliers
tried this?  If so, what was your result?  Are there any downsides or risks
to trying this?  Comments please.

Garry Stout
914 trigear
320 hours & climbing