Re: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:09:41

Reflexing the flaps reduces lift, but if the change in pitching moment reduces
trim drag enough, you could be ahead of the game, but it is airframe-dependent.
Could slow a given airframe down I read.

10 degrees is a lot of reflex, but the Lancair 320 has small flaps.  Reflex big
flaps enough and testing is needed to make sure the thing won't ever have a
dangerous
CG condition, which can't be corrected should flaps fail to deploy.
But theoretically, reflex 'em just right, leave the horizontal tail at home as
we now have a sort-of flying wing, and better than 10-knot boost with all that
wetted area gone.  Pitch control with the tri-gear's flap switch?

Regards,
Fred F.