Re: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps
From: Alex Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:07:56

>10 degrees is a lot of reflex, but the Lancair 320 has small flaps.  Reflex big
flaps enough and testing is needed to make sure the thing won't ever have a
dangerous CG condition, which can't be corrected should flaps fail to deploy.
But theoretically, reflex 'em just right, leave the horizontal tail at home as
we now have a sort-of flying wing, and better than 10-knot boost with all that
wetted area gone.  Pitch control with the tri-gear's flap switch?

>Regards,
>Fred F.

What is the downside to this?
Will too much stability be lost if the tail doesnt pull down a bit?
What will happen at altitude, any risk of high speed stall? I suppose
the aerodynamic service ceiling must suffer?
I suppose it could be used as a method to make a twoseater into a faster
oneseater for lower altitudes, when alone, flick the warp drive switch ;-)

Alex, #529