Europa-List: reflexed flaps

Subject: Europa-List: reflexed flaps
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:17:24

>one of the things he did was to "reflex" the flaps to 10 degrees UP when
>fully retracted.  He said he gained about 10 knots of speed just by doing
>that.....versus the zero degrees normal retracted position.  The theory is
>that reflexed flaps reduce wing drag dramatically

It's true. All the high performance sailplanes do it. In fact, if you look
at an accurate Europa profile you will see that the flaps should be
reflexed very slightly. Walter Binder, (doesn't speak English much) did it
many years ago on his much modified Classic with good results. The used to
tow gliders with that particular Europa I'm told. Not with water ballast in
I trust!
Graham