Re: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Reflexed Flaps
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:18:57

>> Reflex big flaps enough and testing is needed to make sure the
>> thing won't ever have a dangerous CG condition, which can't
>> be corrected should flaps fail to deploy....
>>Regards,
>>Fred F.
>
> What is the downside to this?
> Will too much stability be lost if the tail doesn't pull down a bit?
> What will happen at altitude, any risk of high speed stall? I suppose
> the aerodynamic service ceiling must suffer?
> Alex, #529

That analysis sounds reasonable to me, but I only know for sure that fiddling
with
this stuff isn't to be done casually.  There's lore among Grumman-American
owners that you can reflex the flaps for faster cruise, with no rebuttal from
the "old wives."

I tried it some years ago, but turned one of the adjusters the wrong way one
turn,
opposite to the other side.  Only 28/inch threads and maybe 3/8" asymmetry
at the TE, but on takeoff it was rather startling.  Had to come 'round and land
immediately, and there was enough aileron effectiveness to counter the rolling
tendency.  The large decreased lift on one side on this airfoil doesn't seem
intuitive, but to an aerodynamicist I guess it would!  Corrected flap symmetry,
and various settings, BTW, equaled about zero speed change, but pre-GPS days
for accurate measure.

Fred F.