Re: Introductions

Subject: Re: Introductions
From: John Cliff <john@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:06:34
Forwarded from the bounce bin. Message is from
"Helen Fahy" <72510.1173@compuserve.com>

On mixing very small amounts of resin.

I had a problem mixing small amounts of resin, where it would just not cure.
I checked my ratio, scale,...  Then I called the Shell Answer Man, Gary
Hunter.  He is very helpful and has given many seminars at Oskosh on epoxy.
His first question was "Are you using a wooden mixing stick?"  As he said
that, the problem flashed in my head even before he gave it to me.  The
mixing stick was adsorbing the hardener!

His solution for using wooden mixing sticks was to first get them wetted
with the resin, then add the hardener and finish mixing.  Usually you weigh
out the resin into a cup and then add the hardener and mix.  So you always
get some absorption of the hardener into the wooden stick as it is floating
on top of the resin.  It is just that it is worse for real small volumes.

Helen & Joe Fahy
Helen is the pilot, I am the student.