Europa-List: Re: TriGear - storage at home vs on an airfield

Subject: Europa-List: Re: TriGear - storage at home vs on an airfield
From: budyerly@msn.com <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 08:12:31

Peter,
I only store my aircraft at my shop.  I find the trigear to be quite tall at the
tail and not unlike the mono, the trailer has to have special rigging to be
convenient.

With a very experienced rigger I can arrive at the airport, rig my plane within
30 minutes, or pay for hangar storage in a bulk hangar.  I chose the latter.
Hauling the plane, on a flatbed trailer is possible, and I do pull the wings
and stabs to take it to my shop for annuals and upgrades/repairs.  Otherwise I
find, the trip to the shop, the hookup and transport, then unload and configure,
preflight and log the reassembly (yes you should use the checklist and log
the plane was disassembled as it is considered major work and somebody should
acknowledge the aircraft was returned to service IAW the POH and all controls
verified) to be time consuming to the point of why fly.

The garage at home must have a door and ceiling high enough to clear the tail,
then there are wing racks, the trailer must be quite wide to fit the gear, and
an electric winch and wing racks are needed on the trailer.  I hope you live
on a farm with a large barn and door as most residential garages do not have
that
much clearance.

Not worth the effort personally to do for once a weekend flying.  In a group
that
is normally flying together, (Like Gliders) where all hands are available (as
they have to wait for a tow anyway) and are there to assist, I could see that
a possibility.  However, alone or only with one friend to assist, he may feel
like required labor and soon become disenchanted.

Outside storage should only be done in a sheltered area with appropriate tie
downs
and excellent covers for the aircraft to prevent birds, water and filth from
covering or damaging/nesting in/on the plane.  Wash and polish often to protect
the finish.  Covers help limit sun exposure to protect your glass that may
not have a thick, UV protection paint.

Just my thoughts,
Bud Yerly

Read this topic online here: