RE: Europa-List: Re: 914 draining coolant and changing coolant lines

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: 914 draining coolant and changing coolant lines
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 13:36:04

Jerry,
Like you I use a 1/8inch ID polyurethane hose like our pitot/static lines to
push
a line down through the spider into the radiator.  Then I siphon the coolant
down.  Perhaps there is a cardio vascular surgeon on the site that can make
the process easier, as the drain line is like pushing a rope.  Some technique
required.

The bad part of this method is you don't flush the system.  Flushing is
important
they say.  In the past I would pull the coolant line off of the lower #2
cylinder
(left front) because it was easy to get to and let it drain.  Later I used
a Prestone flush kit and fittings to install an in line plastic elbow in my
#2 line and a pressure cap elbow supplied (and modified by grinding and
polishing
to fit the radiator cap inlet) to allow easy hookups.  That was a bad idea.
Plastic and exhaust pipes don't mix.

One client siphons down the coolant while the oil is draining.  Then pulls the
port radiator hose at the top, puts in an elbow on the hose and a rubber stopper
with a hose fitting in the spider 1" hole and  flushes that way.  Of course,
there is room on the 914 to pull the hose at the radiator and put in a 90 degree
hose, plug the hose and using my Prestone radiator cap elbow from the kit
wash water from a hose down through the system and out the radiator.  I did it
this way once and it was messy, but it was quick and thorough for a flush.

To flush a nasty system, I still siphon out the coolant, then pull lower #2
hose,
hook my flush kit up to the spider/filler neck and flush from the filler neck
with my modified Prestone elbow and out my #2 lower hose through the system,
with a hose.  Then drain again and fill with distilled water and drain again.
Then fill with coolant.  This is still quite a messy procedure and frankly
not a thorough as I like...  So the bottom line is the only time the bottom of
the radiator gets a good flush is during a hose change at the 5 year point.

I may die before I finally mod my radiator with a new radiator with a custom
drain
plug.  That would be the ticket on the XS Europa in my opinion.  But not without
its issues as changing one thing on an airplane affects 20 others it seems.

Bud Yerly