Re: Europa-List: Re: Cruise speed data for Monowheel with 912ULS

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Cruise speed data for Monowheel with 912ULS
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 12:28:41

Fwiw, my mono classic with the short but wide warpdrive has the same expected
issue:
If set to keep it above 5300 static and in the climb (to reduce gearbox/spline
abuse), then my cruise is also slow.   To get good cruise, I end up pitching
to around 5000 static.... which isnt good for the gearbox.  My Classic
really needs a CS prop to be able to get book cruise numbers.  Once I have it
back in the air (2 months maybe), Ill get some fresh numbers to share.

Cheers,
PeteZ

> On Apr 23, 2021, at 11:45 AM, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> First let me apologize to the group for trying to dig so deep into this
> subject.
I am by no means an expert but I have been around a bit. However, my goal
is to learn and as an Engineer I do tend to overthink stuff a little (good thing
when you design life critical medical devices :) ).

> Griffo, this subject is so complex, and open to so much debate that yes, what
you mention is valid, but a few items beg to be clarified as to ensure we are
comparing apples to apples.

> First, RPM alone is not enough to determine the power output of an engine
> (although
you mention speed which could be used as the additional parameter but I
prefer not to due to variability). You need a way to determine that the pitch
in your prop is set correctly to start with (and hence the engine is developing
the desired power). A common way to "communicate" this to aircraft builders
is through the "static RPM" parameter.  But, although a good starting point for
first flight, the final outcome is so dependent on the prop design that the
parameter alone is not enough to properly set a ground adjustable prop.

> And yes, the "art" of adjusting a fixed pitch prop will always depend on the
preference of the user so is there really a "right" answer?, certainly not. Keep
in mind though that the Europa, as well as my LongEZ, ire aircrafts designed
for speed so it is my goal to maximize speed and still retain acceptable TO
performance. Also, the engine operates most of the time in cruise regime, so to
achieve descent efficiency it is desirable to operate at power/RPM settings
that avoids "chocking" the engine with low throttle settings.

> The consensus I found in the Rotax-Owners forums that made most sense to me is
to adjust the prop pitch so that you get 5800 RPM WOT in the air at level flight
(of course this would be altitude and temp dependent). Then check RPM on
takeoff to make sure it will still provide acceptable takeoff and climb
performance.
If you set your prop with that specific baseline then yes the MAP info
is unnecessary for comparison purposes but only if everyone does it that way
(unlikely).

> BTW, I have spoken to CTLS owners in my field and they agree that 4900 to 5000
RPM on initial climb is customary. As soon as you go to cruise climb speeds
that number goes up significantly. If you don't do that the cruise performance
will be dismal. They still get impressive TO performance and keep in mind that
you are operating at that lower RPM high torque regime for a very short period
of time. My LongEZ gives me only 2200 RPM on initial rollout (totally
unacceptable
per Rutan) but goes up to 2500 by the time I am rotating. On cruise I
have to live with 2700 with my throttle lever at around 1/4 open (100 RPM less
than redline) which is not great. So is the nature of the beast. In the LongEZ
I play with altitude to achieve optimal RPM. Yes, altitude is my VP control
:) But that works on a prop that is slightly overpitched.

> Right now , on my Europa, I am getting around 5300 RPM/80 knts @ WOT on climb
but WOT at level flight still exceeds 5800 RPM. At cruise, I checked today, I
am at 5200 RPM/22" MAP at 3000' but only truing 115 ktas. I think based on this
I still need more pitch. BTW, Bud Yerly told me my airplane will be slow since
I still don't have my final shiny coat of paint. I believe him.

> Of course I can keep tweaking the blade angle until I reach a good compromise
(and ultimately that will be the process) but with just a little feedback from
the group I can then compare the performance of my airplane to other folks
flying
the Europa out there.