Re: Europa-List: tacho ballast resistor question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: tacho ballast resistor question
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 20:30:22

Hello Rowland,

If I were you I would get a potentiometer (about 1K) and firstly try it in lieu
of a fixed resistor.

I would be looking for the lowest resistance at which either instrument plays up
and similarly the highest reading and then use a fixed resistor of the mid way
value.

BUT THEN ....... We are not in lockdown.

If I WAS in lockdown, I would try the 220 ohm resistor and see how it goes.  It
certainly wont do any harm.

Regards

Kingsley in Oz

Sent from my iPhone

> On 19 Jan 2021, at 7:29 pm, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Im wiring my Europa XS with a 912ULS engine. I have fitted the
> factory-supplied
UMA tacho and am also taking the engine tacho output to a MGL E-3 engine
instrument
and a Smart Avionics CSC-1 prop controller.

> The UMA manual calls for a 270 resistor across the engine tacho output (if the
readings are erratic). The MGL manual calls for 220 (and one is supplied).

> With no electronics shops open nearby in lockdown, its going to be awkward
> buying
a single 270 resistor. Does anyone know if using the 220 resistor Ive got
would make the UMA tacho unhappy? And conversely, would using a 270 make the
MGL instrument unhappy?