Re: Europa-List: Re: Post curing response

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Post curing response
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 11:24:02

Fwiw, It was my understanding that a post cure raised the Tg (glass transition
temp, when it gets soft and expands) of the finished product.

Cheers,
Pete

> On May 28, 2020, at 11:22 AM, flyingphil2 <philipjtiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Tony, just out of interest, when were the control surfaces laid up?
>
> I remember having a conversation with Andy Draper about this and I've just
> read
the Gurit 'Guide to Composites'.  As I understand it, post curing is only
necessary
if you are in a rush and want to crack on with the build.  Otherwise
you have to wait but the resin will eventually go off at room temperature and
according to the Gurit document that may take 'several hours or even days at
room
temperature'.  If your control surfaces were built more than a few weeks ago
then I believe you can assume the resin is cured if it was mixed correctly.

> Have I understood that correctly?  I have some control surfaces in my
> possession
that were laid up in 2001.  They've not been post cured but I'm pretty sure
the resin has cured after 19 years!