Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel Brake Calliper Piston

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Monowheel Brake Calliper Piston
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 23:09:00

Franzgo, I chose to change my original mono wheel and brake system to a
Beringer one, largely to save some weight. I use the same pressure as in
the original and have had no problems with it. The braking is superior..

There are of course quite a few mono wheels lying around from folk who
have changed to trigear formation and you may well be able to locate one
if you really want to stick with the original. Regards, David Joyce,
GXSDJ

On 2020-01-17 18:36, Franzgo wrote:

> Well, maybe I was not clear, Europa no longer provides any of the old braking
system and original wheel/disk for the monowheel, as they chose to replace it
with the Beringer system which includes a new rim beside a completely reformed
brake.

> Patrick, I am a bit reluctant to the Beringer system becauses the main tyre no
longer uses airtube and, in consequence requires a far higher pressure (around
2 bar) than the previous recommended pressure (1,3 bar). For grass strips,
a higher pressure is not really an issue, but for hard landing surfaces with the
monowheel I really fear that it is not adapted (Bouncing and bouncing again...)

> For the moment I have chosen to keep the old system with an intermediate tyre
pressure (1.5 bar) which seeems to be a good compromise.

> Peter, yes the piston may be machined quite easely as far as you have one in
hand. And maybe it would be profitable to use 2017 alloy with anodization finish
to keep it away from rust. On my aircraft I have found interesting to use
Silicon
Oil (brand AUTOMEC, Dot 5.0) instead of classic brake oils, in order to
chase moisture from the brake pipe and also to protect all gaskets from wearing
to fast. For one year now I find that the caliper has less tendancy to grip
than with the old sticky (and hygroscopic) brake liquid...

> --------
> Franzgo
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=494326#494326 [1]