RE: Europa-List: Anyone experienced trim runaway?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Anyone experienced trim runaway?
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 10:15:44

Hi! Richard /all.
I had at least two situations which were in comparison and the indications  of
the recent enquiries caught my attention.
The nature of my problems were such that a fault appeared in the trim unit such
that at indeterminate positions the trim wouldn't  reverse. It took quite some
courage to allow the trip to extend to its full travel to get a reverse to occur
and the control stick forces were phenomenal at the extreme travel position
and very scary .
The last time it occurred my brother was with me and we shared the control stick
loads until the full normal control was recovered.
I ordered a replacement trim deck and the suppliers were alleging that my wiring
of the panel along with duplication of the trim control at the panel and the
control stick were the cause.
I noticed that the replacement unit they sent was a) a different shape b) was
described
as MARK II Serial number?
On discussion with them they acknowledged that they has found a fault with the
original unit so that on reaching "full trim  position" the fault was eliminated
....until the next time so that further testing wouldn't allow the fault to
be identified!
I replaced the unit and have had no further issues except I don't use the trim
control on the panel anymore and only use the flap control on the panel and not
on the stick.
Hope this helps with your thoughts ?Perhaps the LAA should have been involved in
the outcome so I have copied Malcolm McBride into this message.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG.