Europa-List: Re: Which battery claims should I believe?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Which battery claims should I believe?
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 01:18:03

Hi Jonathan,

To contribute to to your original question (which is indeed fascinating) i think
the answer may have to do with the internal chemistries/construction of each,
the way each Mfr interprets e.g. CCA and CA testing and their market focus.
I believe that:

Varley have the best Pulse Hot Cranking Amp performance because they are of
sealed
bog std lead acid construction.  But this comes at the price of life (from
apprenticeship days i recall that the pure lead plates can buckle under
continuous
high-amperage discharge and eventually this and sulphation shorts an individual
cell, dropping the battery voltage).

The Odessey and the Tanya are both Absorbed Glass Mat tech - a tech which seems
to offer a better life at the expense of lower Cold-Cranking Performance and
capacity - a kind of compromise.  In my view this is perhaps best type suited
to our application given the sometimes lengthy time gaps between use.  The
912S's
higher capacity starter motor is rated at 0.9kW at 12v which translates to
a demand of  300A for 1 sec and then 75A for the remainder to the maximum
10-second
start cycle.  So providing the battery cabling is short and 4SWG/16mm2
those were the reasons for my choice of the Odessey battery.

Whilst Odessey list Aircraft use as an application, Tanya seem to list the EC680
as predominantly a Motorcycle battery.  Even more curious is that Tanya will
sell both batteries - with the EC680 being 20 cheaper.  Vibration durability
perhaps?

https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-batteries/odyssey/pc680/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7uHf9L244QIVz5TtCh17tgzhEAQYAiABEgKa3fD_BwE

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/enduroline/ec680/

There is also a lot of re-badging going on in the battery world and i wonder if
the PC680/EC680 is an example of that

Hope it can add to the debate . . .

Read this topic online here: