Re: Europa-List: Re: Propeller DUC or Woodcomp

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Propeller DUC or Woodcomp
From: David Lewendon <davidlewendon@me.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 15:22:20

A bit off subject but I have recently changed from one Europa with a C/S prop to
one with a Warp Drive fixed pitch prop and I much prefer the fixed pitch prop.
It is pitched at 19 degrees which is a cruise setting and I find it very smooth.
I get 120 kts at 5250 revs. Saves weight as well.

David Lewendon

Sent from my iPhone

> On 12 Nov 2018, at 15:00, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks for the replies to all.
>
> Very sensible suggestion to try both props (fun and informative). I am just a
little limited in funds available for this project and honestly my plane won't
be ready for a year (or most probably more). The opportunity came up to buy
a prop now so I am considering it. But yes, I will talk to my friend and see if
we can reach a deal. I am certainly curious and tempted to try both props but
not sure my wife would be as thrilled of my curious nature :)

> One thing I wanted to share with the group (and getting off topic a little) is
the reason for me building the Europa and why I am very careful with the money
I spend on it. That may explain why I make decisions (or asks questions) that
may not make sense to everyone.

> This is not my only plane. I also own a LongEZ which I love and a Kolb
> Firestar
(essentially an ultralight). I really don't need another plane but I love
building
planes so I asked my wife (and got approval) to find an orphan kit to
buy at a relatively low cost and enjoy building it (sorry Marty for calling your
plane this but that's how I ended up getting it). I found Europa A291 and
purchased
it.

> Two motivators for this project where that my flying buddies are continually
going to grass fields and I can't do that with the LongEZ. Also, most trips are
short (less than 100 miles). Too long for the Kolb but short enough not to need
a fancy fast plane (much less IFR capable). With that in mind I am trying
to build my airplane as light as possible and with almost no instrumentation
except
for what is absolutely required by law. Designers always rave about the
performance of airplanes when they are light (no frufru as Rutan used to say)
so I am trying to see what all that is about
> .
> The other motivator, and most important, is that I am a long time EAA member
and miss the original's organization charter of constructing a plane for
relatively
little money. I wanted to demonstrate that there are a number of unfinished
projects out there that could be purchased for less than the cost of a new
kit and finished for a reasonable amount of money. BTW, it is very hard to beat
the price of some good finished airplanes out there. My LongEZ is a fantastic
plane and it cost less than what I will have in materials for my low cost Europa
project.

> One more thing I forgot to mention: I wanted a side by side plane to take my
kids up and let them fly (Im a CFI). The LongEZ is really not a good plane for
that.

> So there you have it. I have been buying good (and safe) but used components
and counting the beans when it comes to how much I spend on the Europa. I have
limited the number of mods to keep weight, complexity and build time to a
minimum
(except for what is mandatory and makes sense once weight is factored in).
But that doesnt mean that once finished, and if the need for a faster Europa
comes about, I spend more money on stuff like a CS prop or additional frufru
to make it as pretty as you guys out there made your Europas.

> Regarding speed, and here I may get in trouble with some of the forum members,
it seems to me that the biggest gain in performance in the Europa is gained
---From having a 914 and being able to fly high with the turbocharged engine.
The
gains I hear from people doing mods, such as CS prop and aerodynamic
improvements,
but flying the non turbo engine at low altitude are impressive but not sure
worth the cost and weight unless you want to fly longer distances than what
I am planning to do. Dont get me wrong, I want a CS prop, just being very
pragmatic
about making a decision to go that route. the nice thing about CS prop
to me is the extra power on takeoff. The LongEZ is a dog on takeoff when heavy
(fixed pitch)!!