Europa-List: Re: Propeller DUC or Woodcomp

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Propeller DUC or Woodcomp
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 17:45:13

Just to clarify a bit,

I am clear as to the great advantages of constant speed props in an airplane
like
the Europa. I fly a LongEZ which is really limited by the fact that it can
only be fitted with a fixed pitch wood prop. I still manage to get 140-150 knots
on 115 HP though so not too bad.

But I can't spend $10K right now on a beautiful constant speed prop for my
Europa.
And the initial mission for my Europa is short flights to grass fields so
for now inexpensive fixed pitch will work fine.

The reason for my question is that I have a friend that swapped props twice in
his 912 ULS powered LSA aircraft. One is a WoodComp and another is a DUC. He
wants
to sell them to me quite inexpensively. But I don't want both so just need
to decide if I should get the DUC or the WoodComp. I don't like the way the
DUC looks (narrow chord) but if all the hoopla about its "constant speed"
characteristics
is true then maybe is worth consideration. I am hoping some forum
members may have experience with the DUC to share.

Thanks,
Chris

Read this topic online here: