Re: Europa-List: VENTILATION IN FLIGHT & POSITIVE CABIN PRESSURE

Subject: Re: Europa-List: VENTILATION IN FLIGHT & POSITIVE CABIN PRESSURE
From: Kevin Challis <cakeykev@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 15:33:55

Been through the same cabin ventilation issues tried negative pressure but
carbon
monoxide in cockpit and a blast of air from my fuel selector location in the
tunnel.

I now have 3d printed deflectors on inside of air vents to direct air to blow
over
body/face and an extra air vent on top of the cockpit also 3d printed with
a closable moveable vent inside to direct the air where required. It works well
but did take me 7 versions to get right.

Tested in SW France this summer.

Kevin Challis
G ODJG

> On 12 Sep 2017, at 15:02, willydewey <willydewey@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I recently returned from a summer trip to Germany and Austria in G-IANI
> wonderful trip but temperatures at 2000 ft rose in the cockpit to 44 deg C
> and CO2 from the exhaust bothered me most of the time..
> When on the ground the 914 was a problem to start probably by fuel being
> evaporated
in the carbs and consequential vapour lock
> I have the Standard NACA vents (broken but open) but these didnt work at all
well. Ian gave me a Mecaplex vent which unfortunalty doesnt match the curve of
the screen and maybe it would if fitted foul the locking handle.
> During the winter months I would like to redress the situation and would be
> grateful
for advice, in screen vents for example. Is it feasible to block or restrict
the entrance where the flap drive enters the fuselage? If this is possible
the CO2 problem might improve
> Any help or tips much appreciated.
> I do have the vapour return line installed back to the tank as required by the
LAA and  was recently checked and a logbook entry made.
> Once started from cold the 914 ran faultlessly even in those high temperatures
Both cylinder head and oil temperatures were within limits.