Re: Europa-List: unusable fuel

Subject: Re: Europa-List: unusable fuel
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 16:35:02
Wouldn=99t the normal attitude of the mono, sitting on it=99s
main gear & tail wheel, approximate the =9Cmost adverse
condition=9D?

Why not drain the tank w/ acft in that position and be done w/ it?

F.

<mailto:davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

>> PS. I wouldn't expect you to take EASA  too seriously, but for what
it is worth I have just checked their CS-VLA 959, which holds forth on
the subject of unusable fuel, and it says it must be checked for each
tank in the most adverse conditions likely to be encountered, so the EU
is on your side! David

>> On 2017-08-24 23:22, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
<mailto:davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Bob, No of course not but I do not plan to ever be on final with
anything like an empty tank! It seems to me there are two very different
things here - unusable fuel and how anyone sensibly manages his fuel.
Unusable fuel is pretty much what it says on the label and this side of
the pond its only practical consequence was that the LAA want a figure
for it and want it included in the 'ready for service' or empty weight.
That apart I am all in favour of gauges telling the true figure of what
fuel you have in the tank. Very few would want to work out in flight how
much fuel is actually useable or not. We all surely always operate with
sensible reserves. In fact a fair number of my aquaintances have never
had to use the reserve tank and are rightly proud of themselves. In
addition the large majority of my take offs and probably those of my
friends are with a full tank - this partly because much of my flying is
touring, doing longish stints, but also because I still have a lingering
memory of being taught that you should always fill the tank before
putting the plane away so as to discourage air cooling in the tank and
depositing small amounts of water.

>>> Regards, David
>>>

>>> On 2017-08-24 21:21, Robert Borger wrote:
>>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Will that be enough petrol on board if you are on short final at an
uncontrolled field and someone pulls out onto the runway and you have to
go around?

>>> Best regards,
>>> Robert Borger, President
>>> Geowhiziks & Doodlebugging, Inc.
>>> Certified Petroleum Geophysicist AAPG#101
>>> 3705 Lynchburg Dr.
>>> Corinth, TX 76208-5331
>>> (C) 817-992-1117
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>
>>> On Aug 24, 2017, at 14:15, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
<mailto:davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Fred/Bob, That's an entirely reasonable approach since the front end
fuel outlets make it the most critical attitude. However it only really
applies to those who would contemplate seeing if they can take off with
+/- empty tanks. It seems to me much more practicable to go with the
cruise attitude, where I guess 99% of fuel starvation happens. So door
sill level would be my recommendation.

<mailto:rlborger@mac.com>>

>>> Fred,
>>>
>>> I'd recommend takeoff & climb out attitude as that would be the most
critical and when you'd be most likely to uncover the tank outlet.

<mailto:fklein@orcasonline.com>> wrote:

<fklein@orcasonline.com <mailto:fklein@orcasonline.com>>

>>> Could someone please tell me what the proper attitude of an XS Mono
is when determining the amount of "unusable fuel" on board?