Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Alternatives - Aeromomentum

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Alternatives - Aeromomentum
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 08:00:58

Agreed, but in in NA it is indeed under the domain of "amateur built
*experimental*
aircraft".  Here in Canada i could legally even strap on jet engines and
as long as it meets the build 549 standards, im good to go with a normal rec
license......
as long as i could find a company to insure the monstrosity :-) :-)

Not saying its right or wrong, just continentally different.  :-)

Cheers,
Pete :-)

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 7:00 AM, John Wighton <john@wighton.net> wrote:
>

> With all due respect putting a new engine into an existing airframe is the job
for a professional aerospace engineer (Co) - for a light aircraft
(non-certified)
this might take 3-4 years and gobble up around 200k of funds.  Success is
thereafter not guaranteed. At some point you will need to negotiate the
authorities.

> My experience is the lower down the food chain the local authority is the more
finickity they are.  Our LAA is now hobbled with a CAA A8-26 organisation
approval,
which they seem to interpret as needing to add an additional layer of
conservatism (and possibly suspicion) to everything they deal with.  They are
all sterling chaps, just doing a job, but the iterative process of making
MOD/design
submissions to them can try the patience - especially for those of us who
deal direct with EASA, the CAA and other organisations who hold their own
DOA/POA
or hold Form 4 posts themselves.

> The Europa is a brilliant aeroplane that performs fantastically well on a
> Rotax
912S. My advice is to bite the bullet (sign the cheque), buy the Rotax and
get into the air as soon as you can.