Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Alternatives - Aeromomentum

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Alternatives - Aeromomentum
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:07:16

Thankfully not all EAA'ers are apparently incompetent :-)

I have a solid engineering background as do many others who do enjoy the systems
engineering challenges.  Add those to incredibly tight packaging constraints
and my humelbird 1/2vw fwf  installation was fun indeed.

Lets not kill the spirit of innovation for the sake of argument. Those happy
with
the bolt it in blindly rotax path (and there are even shortcomings with that)
shouldn't dissuade others.

Oh, btw, my hummel costs all of 200$ cdn annually to insure ;)

Cheers and blue skies!
Pete
A239

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 3:13 PM, John Wighton <john@wighton.net> wrote:
>

> Believe it or not the engineering activity surrounding fitting a new engine,
including the challenges mentioned by the other forum contributors (engine
mounts,
props, vibration, fuel systems, etc etc) - these things HAVE to be tackled
whether you deal with the LAA or not.

> The reasons why these things are important don't just get diluted all because
you CAN just strap on a new motor and go fly.  To engineer a robust, safe and
long term powerplant solution into a light aircraft  requires knowledge,
training
and experience.  People who are successful either possess these attributes
or acquire them on the way.  There is no short cut (aside from your buddies
chipping in, which is the same thing).

> Fortunately the insurance companies in Canada and the USA have their heads
> screwed
on and will evaluate risk based on the aforementioned attributes, alongside
pilot experience, etc.

> I am not trying to kill innovation, just giving you a heads up on the probable
pitfalls and issues that building a Europa with a new powerplant may bring.