RE: Europa-List: Arplast PV50

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Arplast PV50
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 14:00:24

Hi Pat,
If you have the money then an Airmaster prop is one of the best on the
market that is still in production.Unfortunately the makers of the Arplast
PV50 prop are no longer trading so getting spares has become very difficult.
The Smart Avionics controller is very good and if you can get your hands on
a second hand unit then go for it.  It is a better unit than the old one
that you had. The Smart Controller is much more sophisticated and does much
more for you than your original manual unit, and it does not rely on
internal rechargeable batteries. It also controls the pitch automatically
rather than manually. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, Smart Avionics
are no longer making this unit. (due probably to Arplast going out of
production)

Re the indicated pitch, with your unit, the numbers mean nothing, as they
are entirely dependent upon the position of the sensing arm on the position
transmitter potentiometer spindle. The indicated range from fine to coarse
is also a variable dependant on the setup of this same potentiometer.
Adjustment of the range of movement from coarse to fine is achieved by
adjusting the limit microswitches on the prop pitch change screw jack.

Fine pitch should be adjusted such that on the ground (a/c stationary) with
WOT you achieve around 5,300 rpm.  This will give you about 5750 rpm at 65
to 70 kts ie
you are safe to t/off, clean up and start climb before worrying about
exceeding you max allowable rpm.

The coarse pitch limit will give you about a 10 degree pitch increase from
fine and should allow you to climb at a minimum ROC of 300ft/min and say 65
kts, at max wt. This covers the go around situation with the prop remaining
in coarse by accident or prop malfunction

I could ramble on but I won't unless you have any further questions.

Pete Jeffers (Europa Club Inspector)