Re: Europa-List: retrofit tip lights [was: Is ELT and navigation lights

Subject: Re: Europa-List: retrofit tip lights [was: Is ELT and navigation lights
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 19:26:56

Hi Robert

Don't forget that the Classic foam wings have large lightening holes
running span wise in the foam cores. So if you can find the hole you are
only talking about drilling through the layups that make up the ribs.
If the wing root has not been painted you will probably be able to see
where the holes are. But basically 2 inches forward of the spar will be
hollow from end to end, other than the rib layups.

Do talk to your inspector if you are in the UK before making any holes.

Regards

Pete

G-RMAC Classic #109

On 11/05/17 17:51, Robert Hatton wrote:

> Hello Rowland,
>
> Thank you so much for your response and links to the photos of your wing. I
> have
Classic wings, so I may be lucky. I am not looking to do this imminently,
but should I ever take the plunge and do this, I probably will need to source
a surgeon who is an expert on key-hole surgery!

> If the hardy soul who has retro fitted wing tip navigation lights pops up with
some suggestions I would be grateful. But your photos, even though of the XS
wing, showing your conduit have been very useful in my thinking of how this may
get done.

> All the best,
>
> Robert

lights as a retrofit to a Classic wing. I think this was done by boring a very
long hole through the blue foam. However, I dont think its a practical
possibility
in the XS wing - there is too much internal structure to get through. You
can see how I did the conduit for tip strobes on my XS wings, before closing
the top skin, at:

> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/aviation/europa_435/trystbdcond.php
>
> and
>
> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/aviation/europa_435/conduitinstall.php
>
> and these pictures show how difficult it would be to retrofit wiring from root
to tip.

> If you have Classic wings, you may have a chance to get the wiring through -
best of luck. I hope that the person who did it before might pop up here with
some suggestions!