Europa-List: retrofit tip lights [was: Is ELT and navigation lights requ

Subject: Europa-List: retrofit tip lights [was: Is ELT and navigation lights required
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 13:04:17

On 2017-05-09, at 20:21, Robert Hatton <roberthatton1@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a Europa
> that has had wing tip position/navigation lights fitted after the wings have
> been completed? And how this task was carried out?

Robert - I believe I remember hearing that some hardy soul has installed tip
lights
as a retrofit to a Classic wing. I think this was done by boring a very long
hole through the blue foam. However, I dont think its a practical possibility
in the XS wing - there is too much internal structure to get through. You
can see how I did the conduit for tip strobes on my XS wings, before closing the
top skin, at:

http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/aviation/europa_435/trystbdcond.php

and

http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk/aviation/europa_435/conduitinstall.php

and these pictures show how difficult it would be to retrofit wiring from root
to tip.

If you have Classic wings, you may have a chance to get the wiring through -
best
of luck. I hope that the person who did it before might pop up here with some
suggestions!

in friendship

Rowland