RE: Europa-List: Re: mono to trigear conversion

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: mono to trigear conversion
From: Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 20:05:31

Hi! Clive/all
G-PTAG has never flown as a mono. The insurance claims for ground loopers
are a serious indicator to take notice of. Any weight increase for the
combined issues are not an issue since the mono wheel is replaced by the
nose wheel gear with a forward C of G anyway . OK the overall weight is
increased but I have a long range tank with 9 gallons making my max
passenger seat load only 39 lbs. The aircraft handles that when flown with
respect. The flap drive is by motor switch but the outrigger machinery /push
rods are removed. The main running gear sockets are glassed into
strengthening plywood cruciforms and the fuselage needs suspended over a
quide angle iron against which the axle stubs are clamped.
The whole assembly strengthens the design of the fuselage just aft of the
overlapping wing spars.
It easy to get too much toe in on the axle stubs which once set can not be
corrected committing to excessive tyre wear to make your eyes water. The
setting up procedure does not seem to allow for loaded deflections so that
when loaded the toe in corrects  but as landing is effected the outside of
the wheels are first to skid contact. The tyres need to be watched and
turned round to get efficient tyre wear. Of course to be able to land on
grass always improves this issue .
The flap extension indicator is ideally sorted by a transfer attached to the
wing and flap viewable over the pilots left shoulder.
I'm sorry but haven't further time to discuss these pro's and con's.
Other than to say "go for it" you won't regret it IMHO . (there's those who
have done ground loops and those who have yet to do it on mono )
Regards
Bob Harrison.