Europa-List: Re: CAMLOC Fasteners

Subject: Europa-List: Re: CAMLOC Fasteners
From: AirEupora <AirEupora@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 08:56:52

Rowland,
I used the Skybolt  CLoc 4000 series,
http://skybolt.com/catalog%20pages%20web%2020-36.pdf
There are a number of pitfalls using any camlock style system.  The firewall
area
at the top is not square.  This causes head of the camlock to appear cocked.
Because of this, they will leak in the rain.  I put them only around the base
of the cowl or firewall only.  I have a piano hinge along the top and bottom
of the cowl.  If I were to do it again. I'd use the Camlock style locks along
the sides too.

I had the greatest problem getting the sizes (lengths) correct.  The Skybolt
receptacles
were poorly designed, but they went back to their old design and it
works better now, but  you have to have access to them for adjustment.  (Getting
head flat)
All Camlocks are designed for metal, not fiber glass, so it takes some work to
get them to fit correctly.  Getting the Grommet's square is the hard part.  The
Grommet's length is also a problem as the retainer area is to small for the
fiberglass and will fall out if the hole is to large.    Skylock now offers a
CLoc SK400 Oversize or Worn Hole mod.  I have not tried them let, but will come
spring.
I'd installed the cowling with screws first time. Then once everything is in
place,
I'd then start installing the camlocks, one at a time.  Start with the
receptacles
on the back side of the firewall.  Square them up using resin paste
or grinding down the back side face of the firewall.  The Skybolt have a small
hole in the receptacles that you can use to drill a hole through the cowl.  Once
you have a hole that is drilled you can drill a larger hole to place the
gromment
in.
Good luck in whatever system you choose.

Read this topic online here: