Re: Europa-List: Re: Whoops - loss of flap pin

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Whoops - loss of flap pin
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:31:56

Graeme,

I fail to see how there is any turning moment on the flap drive pin. Both the
flap
and the flap cross tube pivot around a common axis.

However, because of the wings dihedral, if the floating bearing in the end of
the
flap cross tube is seized or very tight, this may possibly induce some turning
moment especially if the bearing surface of the pin inside the bearing was
not lubricated.

Personally, I hope there is no knee jerk reaction to this failure resulting in
a mandatory mod.  My flap drive pins were reduxed in and if the problem I had
getting my rear wing pins out for that mod are any example, there is no way my
flap drive pins are ever going to back out of their own accord.

Best Regards
Kingsley in Oz

Sent from my iPhone

> On 17 Oct. 2016, at 5:28 am, graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:
>

> it didn't shear off. As the flap moves through an angle there is a turning
> moment
on this one. This is not true of the other pins. The rear wing pin has a
nut on the back and a pin through it. I haven't checked starboard flap pin yet.
It maybe that the turning tends to tighten that side and loosen the Port. And
it maybe that due to alignment perhaps there was some pressure on it.
> I can only assume that in this case redux was omitted or sparse.  I cant
> recall
if the socket it goes is a bearing and whether lubrication should have been
regularly applied. The other pins are greased.

> --------
> Graeme Bird
> G-UMPY -  Mono Classic/XS FFW 912S, Woodcomp 3000/3W CS, trutrak Gemini 2 axis
ap, pflarm, ads-b out, 8.33khz, mode S, FP 5, Aera500 &amp; SD on Nexus,