Re: Europa-List: Power settings for 75% power in cruise VP prop?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Power settings for 75% power in cruise VP prop?
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 19:39:57

Jonathan,

This is all done using rpm and manifold pressure.

The Rotax Operators Manual is the place to go for this information in the
Performance
Data section.
There it says that 75% is 5000 rpm and 27.2 inches manifold pressure.
65% is 4800 rpm and 26.5 inches manifold pressure.

I tend to run 4900 rpm and 24 inches for general messing around or increase to
25 inches if I am going somewhere or if I'm in a hurry then 26 inches.

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Monowheel 2230 hours

> On 4 Jul 2016, at 19:19, jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> My question is addressed to those with a Rotax 912S and VP prop combination.
I believe that 75% power equates to 18.5 litres / hour in the cruise. In my
Classic
Europa tri-gear, this gives 115 to 120 KIAS cruise and is generally achieved
around 4700 rpm, which agrees very well with Kevin Dilks' suggested rpm "sweet
spot". Certainly I don't enjoy the louder and less smooth cruise at 5000
rpm.

> So my question "What cruise power settings do you use and how do you know when
you're at 75% power with a VP prop?"