Re: Europa-List: Re: SKyview 10"

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: SKyview 10"
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 19:05:13

Alan and Carl,

I have been running a Power Flarm for about 2 years now displaying on a Mini
iPad
with Skydemon and for almost a year I have also been running PilotAware
displaying
on a second mini iPad also with Skydemon and this setup has for the last
6 weeks been upgraded to the new PilotAware Classic which shows Mode S as well
although I haven't linked the audio option yet S I've been a bit busy lately.

I have also had a day with NATS when me and Kevin Challis in his Tri Gear ran
some
conspicuity trials and last weekend I flew in to AeroExpo again on the NATS
trial.

Before I start my observations I should point out that no more than a glance
should
be given to the traffic awareness system, you should spend nearly all of
your time looking out of the windows, that is where the threat is, the system
is just trying to help you look in the right place.

My observations are that the Power Flarm is good at displaying everything, ie.
gliders using Flarm, aircraft using ADSB out (both me and Kevin have enabled
this
option through the LAA scheme) and other transponders. However it falls down
by only showing the Flarm and ADSB as aircraft symbols in their relative
position
to me plus their height, whilst Mode S/C/A transponders are shown merely
as a circle around my aircraft symbol at their relative distance but also
showing
their height. So when it comes up I have to have a look right round (which
is obviously difficult to the rear).

On the other hand PilotAware shows ADSB and Mode S aircraft as a symbol plus
their
direction height and registration but no depiction of Mode A/C at all. This
is a problem as judging by my experiences so far, I would say that this probably
means that only half the traffic flying are being displayed, although that
display is in a much better format. PilotAware also shows other PilotAware users
but those numbers are very low at the moment.

In the trials that we did with NATS they had a new, prototype all in one, with
mini screen, traffic box that we trialled that showed ADSB, Flarm and Mode
A/C/S.
Unfortunately we only flew with it for about 2 hours, but what we saw looked
very promising, although Mode A/C depiction was only as a note on the side
of the screen.

What we really need is for everybody to enable ADSB out. This is very simple if
you have a fitted GPS and a Mode S Transponder that is ADSB out enabled (most
of the current breed are). It just needs one wire to connect the two and the
paperwork through the LAA is ultra simple and no charge. You would then be
properly
seen by all traffic systems.

It's still early days, but the future looks hopeful, and having had 2 ultra near
misses, I look forward to the day.
In near miss one, I was just under the cloud base and an aircraft came down out
of the cloud right in front of me. We both banked away and I recon we missed
by about 20ft.
The second was even closer. I was in the circuit on right base looking at the
runway.
I looked round out of my window and all I saw was a cowling. I pushed the
stick really hard, it all went dark and then looking right I saw a twin
disappear
into the distance without deviation. Phew!!!!!!

Dave Watts
G-BXDY Classic Monowheel 2230 hours

> On 4 Jul 2016, at 17:32, Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Carl,
>
> Interesting as I'm working with the Conspicuity working group and have been
> trying
a POWER FLARM with a V3+ LED Display.

> Be interested in your feed back on the use of your set up and how your getting
on with the traffic awareness point of view - did you realise that if you flew
into AeroExpo you could have got some money towards your fuel if you had
completed
a feedback form.

> I'm finding that I am picking up a lot of Mode A transponders but not many
> Mode-S
or even ADS-B at the moment and flew into Sywell for all three days and also
again to day into Elstree.

> I'm really pleased therefore with being able to get alerts for Mode A/C as it
would appear that the number of GA conflicts with anything else is few and far
between at the moment.