Europa-List: Re: New Smartphone App for pilots

Subject: Europa-List: Re: New Smartphone App for pilots
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 06:02:10

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry you are finding the altimeter reading inaccurate. One could put
a calibration in, but it would complicate the user interface and one should
be aware that the calibration curve would not be expected to be constant
with altitude, so what you adjust on the ground will be off in the air.
Still I appreciate the PIREP!

I don't know about the specs for NZ aircraft, but in the US a range of
75' is typically what you would expect between aircraft on the ground,
all set to the QNH.  For present, I would have to agree with David. Please
remember, this app is for "educational and entertainment" value.

Please do not attempt to perform an ILS approach to minimums using the
app for vertical guidance   ;)

In other app news, I have discovered my knowledge of Apple hardware
was somewhat dated and that some new iPads do indeed have barometric
sensing. I am currently modifying the app to Universal mode where it will
run on all qualified hardware. That would include iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2,
and the iPad Pro series.

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: