Re: Europa-List: Spin characteristics

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Spin characteristics
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:21:12
Youtube  :-)

http://youtu.be/2W4foTmO6SY

Cheers,
Pete a239

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 4:20 AM, Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info> wrote:
>
> Graeme
>
> Way back when there was a Europa video which included a cockpit sequence o
f of Pete Clark spinning a Europa.  I forget the number of turns he got to b
ut is was considerable.

> Anyone know if that video is still about in a usable format?
>
> Pete
> G-RMAC #109
>
>> On 12/04/16 09:02, Ian Cook wrote:
>> Graeme,
>>             Having done 80 odd spins with the Europa MG the main thing is
 that the machine goes very near the vertical and picks up speed quickly on r
ecovery, do not overdo the stick forward or you will go inverted with all th
e problems that brings. Definitely do not have any loose article in the cock
pit! I             believe the standard Europa XS has similar behaviour e.g.
 the same powerful tailplane clean aerodynamics etc.

rver@matronics.com] On Behalf Of GRAHAM SINGLETON
>> Sent: 11 April 2016 20:58
>> To: europa-list@matronics.com
>> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Spin characteristics
>>
>> I have spun several early Classic Europas, during test flying for Permit t
o Fly. The Classic can bite, clean the spin may be relatively benign but sev
eral had a vicious wing drop flaps down.Imho it may be due to inaccuracy of t
he leading edge of the wing which is critical on Don's excellent airfoil.
>> We were not given accurate coordinates for the section with the plans but
 later on they did become available. Sanding the wings to + or - .010"
>> over the first 12" of chord does give a much more benign stall.
>> Fitting the now mandatory stall strips also tames the stall.
>> Graham
>>

>> On Monday, 11 April 2016, 20:06, graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> I've decided to get some aerobatic training just for fun and so have been
 reading the Kershner basic aerobatic manual. The section on spinning talks a
bout the characteristics of some planes to go flat and recovery being depend
ent on various hard to predict factors; altitude/pressure as well as plane d
esign. Does anyone spin the mono outside of UK and have any comment. While s
earching for info, I have seen one or two accounts on here of accidental inc
ipient spin. They have made we think I should make sure my payload (e.g for p
ermit flight test) is better secured than dumped on the seat if a wing drop c
ould send me inverted.
>> I was busy fitting my Smart Ass 3 at the strip the other day when my hang
ar neighbour remarked that he dropped a wing and rolled out of the circuit o
n base leg in a Brezzer after a 6 hour flight to an unfamiliar strip - lucky
 to survive I should think. Easy to do though especially if you are turning a
cross a stiff breeze.