Re: Europa-List: top cowl carb air inlet

Subject: Re: Europa-List: top cowl carb air inlet
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 21:13:04

On 2016-03-15, at 20:22, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ive bought Neville Eyres cowl set and I am wondering how to get the air into
the cowling to the plenum chamber for the carbs.

> The Europa manual describes making a NACA duct on the top cowl to connect to
the plenum chamber, at a marked position. If I understand the manual correctly,
it appears that a buck or splash moulding is supplied with the factory cowl
set. It is pushed through the cowl from the outside and the duct is laid up
inside
the cowl against the splash moulding.

Ive had a reply already offering the splash moulding when I need it, and I have
also spotted a picture of the thing itself posted by Bob Harrison on 18 June
2014, showing what some folk use it for after the build is complete.

However, Ive been studying the manual again and I notice that in the
instructions
for making the rectangular flange to support the rubber skirt that seals around
the air filter, it says:

"Make cardboard formers in the manner described for the [NACA duct] side pieces

which suggests that there was an older method which has not been completely
excised
---From the manual. Im guessing that this approach used the piece cut out of
the cowl as the ramp and cardboard formers were used to support the layup of
the sides of the duct.

Just out of interest, does anyone have a copy of a previous version of the
firewall
forward manual that includes a different recipe for making the inlet duct
that involves cardboard formers?

in friendship

Rowland