Re: Europa-List: top cowl carb air inlet

Subject: Re: Europa-List: top cowl carb air inlet
From: Sky <richard.churchillcoleman@sky.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 21:08:14

Rowland, I have the Nev Eyre cowl set as well (though not yet built) and my
understanding
is that it does away with the fresh air inlet by guiding fresh air
over the top of the engine from the cooling ducts immediately behind the prop
- as a result, you simply put "normal" Rotax air filters onto the carb inlets
and use air from directly inside the cowling.  There is a picture of this set
up on the Europa website where Nev's cowls are shown with the top off.

Reds
Richard CC

> On 15 Mar 2016, at 20:22, Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ive bought Neville Eyres cowl set and I am wondering how to get the air into
the cowling to the plenum chamber for the carbs.

> The Europa manual describes making a NACA duct on the top cowl to connect to
the plenum chamber, at a marked position. If I understand the manual correctly,
it appears that a buck or splash moulding is supplied with the factory cowl
set. It is pushed through the cowl from the outside and the duct is laid up
inside
the cowl against the splash moulding.

> Neville has not supplied anything to make the NACA duct for the plenum
> chamber.
Obviously I can work out the position on the cowl from careful measurement
of the plenum relative to the firewall, but I dont have any information or
pattern
for the shape and size of the NACA duct.

> Does anyone have one of these splash mouldings from the factory that I could
borrow, please? I dont need it right now, but want to make sure I have some way
of dealing with this problem when I come to it.

> Or, if Im not understanding how the NACA duct is made, can someone please
> explain
it to me!