Re: Europa-List: Re: Heavy duty starter for Rotax 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Heavy duty starter for Rotax 914
From: amimcfadyean@talktalk.net
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:00:54
=0AThe heavy duty starter is quoted as being 1" longer than
the original starter, although it looks longer than this; ther
e was an earlier thread on this when the new starter first
 appeared, but a search doesn't bring this up.=0AAnyway, the
alternative sold by Silent-Hetik and referenced earlier in the
lf the price).=0AAnyone checked whether the latter would fit w
ith the Classic engine mount? Or care to measure what cleara
nce is available with the original starter?=0A=0ADuncan McF=0A=0A=0A
-----Original Message-----=0AFrom: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>=0ATo:
europa-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 8:23=0ASubject: R
e: Europa-List: Re: Heavy duty starter for Rotax 914=0A=0A=0AHi
Roland,=0ARotax 912s with original 912 starter is OK.=0AWhat one
 needs is a powerful battery.=0AI had a Panasonic Battery an
d in winter it was no good.=0AIt eventually caused the sprag
 clutch to need replacing.=0AI was also going to upgrade to
a more powerful starter.=0ADue to my Classic engine frame I
could not fit the new starter.=0ASo I put the original back
and brought a Lithium IRON battery used in Motorbikes.=0APowerfu
l enough to turn over a 12tonne truck!=0AI worked so well.
No more winter problems on starting.=0ABattery was the SHORAI
POWER=0A=0A=0ASee http://shoraipower.com=0A=0A=0ACHEERS,=0A=0A=0ATIM=0A=0A=0A=0A
=0A=0A=0A=0ATim Ward=0A12 Waiwetu Street=0AFendalton,=0AChristchurch,
8052=0ANew Zealand.=0A=0A=0Award.t@xtra.co.nz=0A=0A=0APh 64 3 3515166=0A
Mob 0210640221=0A=0A=0A=0A=0AOn 14/10/2015, at 7:51 PM, Roland <sc
hmidtroland@web.de> wrote:=0A=0A=0A=0A--> Europa-List message posted b
y: "Roland" <schmidtroland@web.de>=0A=0ABonjour Gilles,=0A=0AI think m
y kick back Problem is typical for a broken (worn out?) sp
rag clutch (that's also what Rotax suspects). The LiFePo batte
ry is very strong and I think this Problem should be solve
d with a new sprag clutch.=0A=0AHowever the long wiring betwee
n the battery and the starter is far from ideal, so I'll
change it on this occasion as well.=0A=0AThe idea of the hea
vy duty starter arised, because the engine/starter has 650 hrs
 now and the engine has to be taken out anyway. Plus the
 cables should not be longer than 50 cm, which would be
the case with the new battery position. So just nice to ha
ve, but certainly unnecessary.=0A=0AWhat I've learned by now is,
 that several feasible approaches to the problem exist - and
, that I'm not the only one having it :-)=0A=0ASalut=0ARoland
=0APH-ZTI =0AXS TG 914=0A=0A=0A=0A=0ARead this topic online here:=0A
=0Ahttp://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=447921#447921=0A=0A=0A=0A=0Ahtt
p://www.matronics.=====================
-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,-=
Photoshare, and much much more:-=-=   -- http://www.ma
tronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List-=-============
===========================
=====================-=
           - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS --= Same
great content also available via the Web Forums!-=-=
 -- http://forums.matronics.com-=-============
         - List Contribution Web Site --=
Thank you for your generous support!-=
                     -Matt Dralle,