Re: Europa-List: Re: Heavy duty starter for Rotax 914

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Heavy duty starter for Rotax 914
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 20:15:49
Hi Roland,
Rotax 912s with original 912 starter is OK.
What one needs is a powerful battery.
I had a Panasonic Battery and in winter it was no good.
It eventually caused the sprag clutch to need replacing.
I was also going to upgrade to a more powerful starter.
Due to my Classic engine frame I could not fit the new starter.
So I put the original back and brought a Lithium IRON battery used in Motorb
ikes.
Powerful enough to turn over a 12tonne truck!
I worked so well. No more winter problems on starting.
Battery was the SHORAI POWER
See http://shoraipower.com

CHEERS,

TIM

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

> On 14/10/2015, at 7:51 PM, Roland <schmidtroland@web.de> wrote:
>

> Bonjour Gilles,
>
> I think my kick back Problem is typical for a broken (worn out?) sprag clu
tch (that's also what Rotax suspects). The LiFePo battery is very strong and
 I think this Problem should be solved with a new sprag clutch.

> However the long wiring between the battery and the starter is far from id
eal, so I'll change it on this occasion as well.

> The idea of the heavy duty starter arised, because the engine/starter has 6
50 hrs now and the engine has to be taken out anyway. Plus the cables should
 not be longer than 50 cm, which would be the case with the new battery posi
tion. So just nice to have, but certainly unnecessary.

> What I've learned by now is, that several feasible approaches to the probl
em exist - and, that I'm not the only one having it :-)

=========
=========
=========
=========