Re: Europa-List: Re: Takeoff technique and runway minima (trigear)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Takeoff technique and runway minima (trigear)
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 15:36:15

Amen to that. Although the mono gets off the ground very nicely it will
not climb well nor gather speed very well until you have the flaps up,
so in practice I level off 10ft or so off the ground to gain enough
speed to pull the gear & flaps up before climbing. None of that is ideal
and could be a serious issue in some circumstances so I certainly
wouldn't think it a good idea for trikes to take off with any more flap
than they can climb comfortably with to the sort of height where you can
afford to take your eye off the main business of flying in order to deal
with reducing flap.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ, mono 914.

On 2015-08-01 12:26, Remi Guerner wrote:

> I consider the compulsory 27 degree flap setting of the monowheel to be a big
inconvenience on take off. The aircraft levitates at low speed close to the
ground
before having enough speed to start the climb and allowing the flaps/gear
to be retracted. During those few seconds, the aircraft is very sensitive to
wind gusts, especially in a crosswind and that is a potentially dangerous
situation.
I would love to be able to take off with 5 or 10 degrees of flaps. But
I would not exchange my speedy monowheel for a trigear.
> Remi Guerner
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=445471#445471 [1]

Links: