Re: Europa-List: Re: Compressing Rubber Mounts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Compressing Rubber Mounts
From: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck@cs.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 21:25:53

Thanks Jonathon,

The instructions say that the four AN5-40 mounting bolts must be
tightened fully to compress the rubber anti-vibration mounts (MT04) onto
the steel spacers MT03. That is the compressing I refer to. There is
probably about .20 inch of compression needed on each rubber mount -
about .40 inch in total which is about the about amount of thread needed
to allow the nut to grab once the washers are on. In their 'relaxed
state' when assembled there isn't enough thread poking through to engage
the nuts on the bolts.

I assume that the steel spacers set the distance between the large cap
washers MT02.

I can use longer bolts to get the rubbers compressed and then I like the
idea of the tie wraps to keep them compressed while I switch out the
bolts to the correct length ones.

I think later manuals call out AN4-41 bolts so I suspect this was a
problem in the past.

Martin

On 4/19/2015 6:49 PM, jonathanmilbank wrote:

> What compressing? I don't understand. Admittedly I have a Classic with a
> different
engine cradle frame, but I can't conceive that the Lord mounts would be
greatly different. Yes they are fiddly and difficult to assemble and keep from
falling apart while trying to hang the engine bearer onto the undercarriage
frame,
but if the engine is suspended at a suitable angle using straps and a hoist,
with slow careful manoeuvring it all comes together until enough thread pokes
through to engage the nuts on the bolts.

> The last time I did this (about the 5th time), I fastened little cable
> tie-wraps
tightly around the bolt shanks after assembling the Lord mounts into the engine
bearer. This helped to minimise the tendency of the Lord mount assemblies
to disintegrate while manoeuvring.