Re: Europa-List: water drain

Subject: Re: Europa-List: water drain
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:44:22

And the reason for that is probably there in that sentence.
The more ethanol in your fuel, the less likely you you will ever see
water at the drains.
Ethanol readily attaches itself to water meaning that any water
contamination is distributed throughout the fuel. Gone are the days when
it sat conveniently at the bottom of the tank waiting to be drained.

The truth is that there is probably already water in your fuel before
you ever put it into your aircraft.
Water is notoriously difficult to detect and even harder to quantify.
Fuel distribution companies dip their storage tanks with a crude
dipstick coated with a water sensitive paste that changes colour when
water is detected. More modern float detectors (carefully weighted to
float on water, but under the fuel) used in bulk storage tanks work to a
degree, but the non-predictable way that water distributes itself
throughout the  fuel means that the indication is little better.

There is no pressing desire by these companies to improve the situation
since there is a healthy profit to be made by selling water at fuel
prices, (a trick that the poultry and pork industries learned many years
ago).

My only advice would be that if you ever do drain a significant quantity
of water from a tank known to contain ethanol fuel, discard the entire
contents as the water will still be attached to the ethanol that was
added to raise the octane rating and the remaining fuel could seriously
damage your engine.

Nigel