Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Purchase

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Rotax Engine Purchase
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 14:02:13

How about giving consideration to buying a fairly low hours rebuilt engine, even
if it hasn't been zero-houred after rebuilding? I'm on my third Rotax 912 since
completing the project, not because there was anything wrong with the first
two. After about 800 hours on the first 80hp unit, another 80hp engine became
available with barely 200 hours at a ridiculously low price, so I couldn't
resist
a straight swap and sold the first to defray the cost of the second.

Then I converted my undercarriage from mono-wheel to tri-gear and discovered
that
the extra rolling resistance of three small wheels necessitated more power,
so I did another swap involving two other parties to acquire my current 912S
which had only about 220 hours after a thorough inspection and reassembly. One
possible source of such rebuilt engines in the UK is Kevin Dilks, who does such
work for a living and used to work at the Rotax factory in Austria. He certainly
knows his stuff!

What I'm trying to suggest is that Rotax 912 engines, being fitted to permit
aircraft
and therefore getting replaced on condition not life, seem to be capable
of reaching 2000 hours if well cared for. There's only one item which I would
insist that is brand new before installing the 100hp 912S and that is the
starter
sprag clutch. This item never gave me trouble in the two 80hp units, but
I know of other people who've had to replace more than one sprag clutch in the
912S.

So I would be almost unconcerned by the need for any warranty on Rotax 912UL
and
912ULS units, but would be much more cautious if considering buying the
relatively
new 912iS which, by the way, is also somewhat heavier.

Read this topic online here: